Monday, July 03, 2006

Women & Packing Light: Mission Impossible!

You know what I hate about traveling?

Packing!

I wish I can pack the way men pack. I always have this picture in my mind of them just grabbing a couple of shirts, underwear, a pair or two of pants, and some toiletries, throw them inside a bag or a small suitcase, wallet in pocket, and leave.

Men have it so easy.

Women and packing..... Now that's a completely different story.

I'm going out of the country this weekend, for two weeks, and I've just finished packing..... I think. Looking at the contents of my suitcase, I'm pretty much convinced I have everything I need or want to bring. A tiny voice in me is telling me I've gone overboard.

Looking at my suitcase, it seems like I'm going to be gone for a month instead of just two weeks. My mom always tells me to make a list of only the essentials. I always do! But all of my things are essential to me, and because of that reason, it has always been a problem for me to keep whatever I bring with me within the 20 kilo limit airlines allow for each passenger.

I was planning on bringing at least 3 pairs of shoes but I had to let go of my beloved espadrilles. I suppose the sneakers that I'll be wearing, a slip-on, a kitten-heeled mule, and my bedroom slippers would do.

This morning I've dumped all of the clothes I wanted to bring with me, onto my bed. It pretty much looked like a disaster area. I narrowed everything down to a couple of black tees & white tees, 3 black blouses, a white blouse, a red shirt, 3 packs of underwear, 5 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of slacks, 2 pairs of jeans, and a couple of bras. That should do it..... Oh wait..... I almost forgot my bathrobe!

I was also planning on bringing a couple of books with me but I've decided to bring just one. I don't think I'll be cooped up indoors most of the time anyway. It's a big city and most of the two weeks will be spent exploring. Besides, I also have some writing to do.

Of course I have to bring my own toiletries. Can't leave home without my favorite scents, body cream, a loofa scrub, shower gel, sunblock, make-up, etcetera, etcetera. I can always buy the shampoo & conditioner over there. But what if they don't have the brand I use? I just have to make do I guess.

Now, if I bring two kinds of purses, will that be too much? If I bring some jewelry and accessories, will it also be too much? I can't leave home without my pearls, bracelets, earrings. What if I have to accessorize? Better bring some.....

There..... that should do it! At last I'm done. Oh wait..... The pasalubongs! Better make room for them, too.

Now let's see how much this'll weigh.....

Damn!!!!! 7 kilos of excess baggage. Time to rethink and strategize. Seriously, airlines should allow more for free baggage. Don't they know this is torture to women? Or maybe I should learn how to pack light...

Fuck it..... I'll just pay for the excess.

No comments: